Monday, June 11, 2007

What makes you uninsurable?

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, that health insurance is not rocket science.

Really this should not be all that hard to understand. However, it seems that people think that they can just leave their common sense at home when they are applying for health insurance.

Not a day goes by, that I do not speak with someone that says, “I’m in perfect health. I haven’t been to the doctor in years.” Only to find out that they have had open heart surgery, or a heart attack, or a stroke, and the real reason that they haven’t been to the doctor is that the doctor advised that they have a procedure that they have yet to get. That makes you uninsurable.

Another issue that will flag your application as uninsurable is your weight. Health Insurance companies have a height and weight chart that gives them the guidelines to give people insurance. If you do not fit within those guidelines you are uninsurable. This is not just for the overweight; this also is for the underweight, the very short, and the very tall. Why? Because the actuaries have made calculations to determine that based on height and weight how big a risk a person is to insure. When you couple that with various problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, heart issues, etc... That combination is what determines eligibility for insurance.

So, then, what options are available to you if you are deemed to be uninsurable? There are a few. Depending on your individual condition depends on the course of action to explore.

The first thing to remember is that if an insurance company is willing to extend coverage to you, then it will not come with a cheap price tag. If most companies consider you to be uninsurable and you can find a company that will extend to you a health insurance policy I suggest that you take it.

The second thing to remember is that if an insurance company is willing to extend coverage to you, then it may not be the best coverage in the known universe, but it will be coverage. In this instance, something is better than nothing. A card in your pocket will get you into hospitals where before you could not get needed care.

Third, keep it as long as possible. Expect for there to be rate increases. Count on them, but remember that you need this policy. So stick it out as long as you can. I have always told my clientele to always look for other coverage, but to never drop their current coverage until they have a replacement policy in force.

I do not want to see anyone over pay for insurance. I want all my clients to be happy with their premium, but I also understand the consequence for not having an insurance policy.

It breaks my heart to tell someone that there is nothing I can do to help them. I want to see everyone get Health Insurance, but I know the reality of life is that not everyone will qualify.

That is why I personally offer a hospital indemnity policy. This policy is not your typical insurance but it pays something should you have to go to the doctor or go to the hospital. In that case, if I have no other alternative than to offer you that policy, I am in essence saying to you that “something is better than nothing.” That sounds unfair to the writing company of the indemnity, because it is actually a very good plan, but in all truthfulness, if I can place you into an actual health insurance policy then I will do so.

Like I said, Insurance is not rocket science. Use the head that God gave you, and you will be able to find some kind of coverage, regardless of your condition.

No comments: